If it's like the locking ignition switch in the 123s and 126s, I would
recommend removing the cylinder the very next time you are able to turn the
key.  In a pinch, you can turn the switch with a screwdriver when the
cylinder is out.

My 123 lock was sticky so I pulled the cylinder and used a non-matching
"loaner" cylinder until the matching one arrived (several weeks).  In that
car part of the problem was a sticky steering wheel lock mechanism, which
improved with lubrication.

My 126 lock cylinder failed to the point I could never turn the key to
remove the cylinder.  That one had to be sawed off (from below) and the
entire mechanism (the whole steering wheel lock) replaced.

After these experiences, I remove a failing cylinder at the first sign of
trouble.

Your older setup may be totally different, though.