And I take it the car was parked level?
This dipstick is for various engines so there are different instructions for different engines? From what I can see there are two possibilities, either the dipstick is wrong or the oil level is low. I don't think this company would go to the trouble of selling a tool that is wrong, mistakes do happen but oil level is pretty critical and they probably sell quite a few of these, so would be aware if there is a problem.

Hendrik
who has been known to be wrong