When the power went out last Friday, the generator had no governor spring.
It started and idled fine, but no output. I blipped the throttle a few times, kept it revved up for 10 seconds or so, still no output, it went up from about 0.6v to 0.8v when revving it hard.

Today I remembered where the governor spring was, put it on, started the generator, then spent around 5 minutes looking for the voltmeter I was using a week ago. When I found the voltmeter, it was putting out 116-117v on both outlets.
I plugged in a circular saw and it ran just like it was hooked up to the grid.
So I guess it needed to run a while at full speed to start working. Blipping the throttle by hand wasn't enough, nor was letting it idle 10-15 minutes.

Now, about my neighbor's generator that died while under load a few years ago.
(they heard the engine free-rev and all the refrigerators and lights died)
Should I do what I was going to do with mine, hook up a battery charger to the brushes, assuming there are brushes under the rectangular 'brush cover' on the end of the generator head?
Does polarity matter?

Mitch.
Who is now kicking himself for not grabbing the $100 12hp Coleman/Subaru he saw advertised 80 miles away on CL earlier this week "runs great but no power".
Today it says 'posting deleted by its author'.

Dan Penoff wrote:
With it running and a meter on the out put or a light bulb, put 12VDC to the
brush leads and see what the output does.

If you get 40-80VAC out of it (or more) the windings are OK.

Sounds like it's a capacitive excited set, meaning it self excites using the
capacitor.

If you get output by separate excitation as described above, replace the
capacitor. That's assuming there's nothing else in the circuitry, like a
voltage regulator.