On Dec 13, 2014 8:55 PM, "Dan Penoff via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> That's certainly one possibility.  Something else to consider might be
that I would think that a higher percentage of high line cars are leased
rather than purchased, meaning that when they show up in the auction
they're leasebacks rather than trade-ins.

> I wonder how Mercedes compared opposed to other such brands, like BMW or
Lexus?

Lexus tended to trade close to the line, which is why I was attributing
some systemic difference to Mercedes.  I see now that some BMW lines are
behind the line, some are very far forward.  I don't know BMWs enough to
know which are performance and which are luxury.

Looking at the Mercedes list again, I see that a lot of the convertibles
and coupes are selling very early, and the Es and MLs are close to the
line.  So maybe it is just people not putting a lot of miles on a weekend
car, which skews the overall impression. Though that doesn't explain the
S550...

I'm not sure whether that site is tracking auction listings, or some kind
of trade reporting database.  Do you remember?

Anyway, I'm all for Max buying his wife a new S class for Christmas, and
reporting how it goes. :)

Thanks,
Tim