Curly McLain via Mercedes wrote:
Free sunlight would not be enough for me to cut a hole in my roof.

Now you sound like Wilton! (or anyone else who ever had to chase leaks in a roof)

When I bought my current house, with plans to put in a 95% furnace, my realtor suggested I tear out the masonry chimney and put in a 2nd bathroom closet. I thought he was nuts. It's a lot of work to disassemble a chimney, then you've got a 18" square hole in the roof to fix, then you have to build a closet that's only a few feet away from an existing closet...

After I switched to an electric water heater, I siliconed a 12" square patio block to the top of the 8" clay flue and a steel plate over the flue entry hole in the basement to seal off the chimney. If anybody wants to put a woodburner in some day, there's a good chimney ready to use.

Mitch.