     From: Curly McLain via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:33 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] Burnin' daylight

>I have to say that there is a world of difference between a new F150
>Supercrew and a 60's Chevy pickup.
>I have had 2 of the Supercrews now and have loved them both.
>I also had a 1968 C10 Chevy for about 24 years.
>It was a good truck but not nearly so nice to drive and ride in as
>the newer ones are.
>One can still buy a very base 2 wheel drive pickup new. That is what
>most of the trucks were back in the earlier time period.
>My father always had a pickup truck and I don't think he ever owned
>one with carpet on the floor.
>They were usually bare bones work trucks without even a radio installed.
>
>Times have changed and although it is sometimes fun to remember the
>"good old days", I personally think that vehicles have gained a
>whole lot in the past decade or two.
>
>RB

The cab comfort and ergonomics are better, but you should not need a
stepladder to get into a pickup cab.  I can take any 60s pickup and
make the cab MUCH more comfortable.  It is pretty simple, throw out
the seat.  Install 60s to 80s volvo seats, or a bench from a newer
truck.

My U110 Bronco was the most uncomfortable POS I ever tried to ride
in.  60 miles was a killer, even for young people.  I threw out the
awful seat and installed volvo seats and it was then perhaps better
than sitting in a Mercedes.  Problem solved.

new carpet can be installed in a 60s pickup,as can be front disk
brakes. (or all around)  Personally, I prefer the rubber mats with
carpet mats cut to fit.  Much easier to clean.

Air cond is better now, but a Japanese compressor can cure a lot of
that problem.

We generally never went more than 2-5 hundred miles round trip in a
truck anyhow.  When I was a kid the whole family went on a 1200 mile
trip in  the 48 chevy truck (2 T), then later went on a 4000 mile
trip in the one ton chevy with a camper on the flatbed.  In 1974, 3
of us went on a 3-4000 mile trip in the 68 international truck (1.5T).

I can fix up a 60 pickup for less money than a new truck, and have a
better truck that you don't need a ladder to get into.

individuals are responsible for the content of the post.  The list owner has no