I bought 2003 2WD Sonoma (same as Chevy S-10) from a neighbor's widow a few
years back.  Except for AC and radio, it's pretty basic.  It's easy to get this
truck stuck when the back end is light but (based on experience with tractors)
I think a limited-slip differential (which is retrofit-able) is a fair
alternative to 4WD.  In most cases (ice, snow, mud, pine needles) I get stuck
because one rear wheel spins free.   I bought a used Torsen unit but haven't
installed it yet.

Questions/opinions:  (1) What experience do others have with limited-slip
differentials vs 4WD.  And (2) should I try this Torsen install DIY or hire a
pro to do the job?

I have never done differential work (other than replacing 123 half shafts) so
I'm not confident about getting the pinion/ring-gear mesh right.  I've seen the
photos of marking grease to show the gear contact but it seems one needs a shim
kit for adjustments.  Also, it looks like you could do a lot of damage if the
gears don't mesh right.

Thoughts?