I join Wilton in calling it pilot error. Regardless of the weather, or
equipment failure, it is pilots responsibility to land or choose to land an
an alternate. It is a requirement for all commercial flight planning to
have alternate airports as part of the flight plan.

Tower personnel also always give runway condition advisories for any
condition which might influence landing conditions. The days of "flying
blind" are long gone. If runway conditions were below minimums for
visibility for landing.. a divert to alternate is required.. if Ice is on
runway and minimum  traction requirements are not met.. divert to alternate
is required [ground crews now have machinery that physically test runway
conditions and report it to tower]

Several bad choices were made to continue the approach and landing, it
appears.