So back when I was in kawledge I had summer internships at NASA Langley. One summer I was in the Flight Research Division, having worked the previous summer in the Flight Simulation Division, wherein the aircraft being simulated I was then working on in the real world. The primary aircraft was a 737 called the Terminal Configured Vehicle, which had a replica flight deck in the back cabin, from which the airplane could be flown "by wire" with the safety pilots up front being able to manually override the pilots in the back. We did all kinds of tweaking of the software to allow the plane to take off, fly, and land, all either automatic or by the "wire" inputs to the flight computer. I "flew" the simulator quite a bit while we were tweaking things, we would do a simulation of something then my colleagues would twiddle with the software (running on CDC Cyber computers, which were about the size of my 30 cuft refrigerator) and then we would see what happened. If stuff worked OK then it would be uploaded to the airplane, probably on tapes or something, I never saw that process.

As far as I know this airplane and the software was the precursor to pretty much all the FBW stuff in all the planes today, so it is kinda fun to think back on that and whatever small role I might have had in that "progress."

One day while I was in the Flight Research group someone came to me and said there was some problem in the autoland algorithms, pull the flight data and go over to my previous group and see what we could figure out. The problem was that when the plane was landing on one particular runway, it would pound in hard. The safety pilots would think it was descending too rapidly and then try to correct and the result was a hard landing. Of course the pilots, whose man-equipage needed its own seat, were never to blame for this.

So I printed off all the data, made plots, looked at all the control loops, we put it all in the simulator and "flew" the same landings with no problems. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the problem. One day I was driving to lunch on the other side of the airfield and noticed there was this big drainage ditch off the end of that runway, and the runway was 10 or 12 ft above the ditch. HMMMM I am thinking, remembering some radar altimeter data. (Langley sits on the marsh on a backwater of the Chesapeake, and is about 2ft above sea level, pretty much like my place is now)

So I get back and look at all that, and sure enough you could see a big "altitude" jump right before landing, where the altimeter was sensing that ditch and commanding the aircraft to go down a bit to compensate. But in the simulator, once it crossed the threshold and got over the runway, it would pitch up a bit to maintain proper descent to landing. At that point it was maybe 30ft above the runway, the ditch made it think it was like 40+ ft. So I look at the simulator, and quite clearly the flight computer caught this, and the airplane was responsive enough to the computer, that it would land properly and smoothly, no drama. But when the pilots got in the loop, they were of course much slower to react and command the aircraft, so it would not pitch up to compensate and would pound in, sooner than the touchdown point the computer would land it. The pilots basically were the problem.

So a few days later we had a meeting to go over what was going on, and my older colleagues say, "Rich how about you go over what you found." So I do that, we took the data, ran the simulations, no problems, then hey look at when the pilots took over because they thought it was going to land short or hard, then BANG it lands short and hard." If you had let the system do its job, no problems.

So, the pilots then had a shitfit and start in on me, whothehellisthiskidwhatdoesheknowblahblah, and I see the guys smirking at me, they had set me up to deliver the news and catch the flak from the guys with the big.... egos.

So then a coupla days later one of the pilots comes charging in our space and walks over to me and says, "THOMAS YOU'RE COMING WITH US!" I of course about evacuated, but followed him and he goes to the airplane, tells me I am going, and they are going to fly the profile a few times and see what happens. So I take a seat back behind the aft flight deck where I can watch what's happening, and after 3 or 4 touch and gos we come back, nothing is said. So we get back to the office and a couple of the other guys who were on the plane are all laughing at me and saying "those guys were pretty damn quiet, huh, looks like you were right!" So, shonuff, the computer landed the plane fine, the pilots tried it and pounded it in. Vindication! Of course the pilots never admitted it but they treated me a bit nicer for the rest of the summer.

Here's a blurb about the research fleet, the bottom pictures of NASA 515 show the airplane. My office was in that hangar to the left in that picture, it was full of mice and cockroaches we would launch paper clips at with rubber band slingshots.
https://books.google.com/books?id=wyJCIhtknPcC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=NASA+TCV&source=bl&ots=fDj3VbqLZU&sig=VogQvNb-twMlFeWtAOAktmy4iKQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jVAYVfLFEoGDgwT02YGoBw&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=NASA%20TCV&f=false

Here's a paper by one of the crazy guys I worked with http://www.researchgate.net/publication/23819008_Verification_and_validation_of_the_NASA_Terminal_Configured_Vehicle%27s_TCV_Wind_Analysis_program_using_real-time_digital_simulation

--R