The problem with diverting from Halifax is that Gander is probably the closest runway that can take a 320, it's kinda sparse out that way airport wise (and population wise). Maybe PEI, maybe not, and probably the weather wasn't any better anywhere else.

As noted in my previous post, a sharp downdraft or microburst happens too fast for the autopilot to "fix", and if the autoland system can't do it, it would be pure luck that a slower to respond human pilot would do any better.

On the subject of downdrafts and sudden loss of airspeed, some hoser killed himself over in Souther Illinois this weekend flying his new ultra-light in blustery weather. Must not have read the instructions that clearly state "fly only in still air". Flying an ultralight that goes maybe 25 mph in wind gusts up to 30 is suicidal.

Peter

Yesterday was crazy windy in the midwest. Everything that was not battened down was moving. They said 30 with gusts higher, Seemed more than that to me. More like 50/60 with higher gusts but it was a wild day. blew into the evening too. it had limbs breaking off bare trees. THAT is windy!