> From: psf...@earthlink.net
>
> I just got delivery of my nephew's 2004 Golf TDI, so I guess I'll be
> finding out how I like VW diesels.
>
> 125k miles, looks pretty good -- lowest milage car I've bought for a
> while, and enough years newer than my 88TE that I may not need to
> replace it before I retire.

Make sure the timing belt has been changed. It is an interference engine.
Job is a PITA on that one. The front end must come off, IIRC.
Also the intake collects carbon from the EGR. It can be disabled
with the correct software (VAGCOM I think).
Good car. My friend got 250k miles on his before he traded it off
for a Honda Accord Coupe. Not as solid as a Mercedes, but not
bad. There are a couple good forums for these cars, too.

Oh yeah, only use synthetic diesel oil. My friend used nothing but
Shell Rotella T-6.

Rick