The Kohler distributor I worked for in the mid 80s was a Lister/Petter
distributor.

Petter was the "throw away" engine line, cheap, aluminum block diesel engines
good for maybe 5,000 - 10,000 hours. Listers were the expensive, last longer
than your average lifetime engines.

Everybody knows the old arrow boards they used to have on the highways around
road construction projects, the orange trailers with the big black sign board
with yellow lights in the shape of an arrow that would blink.

Nearly every one of those was powered by a Petter single cylinder diesel engine
that drove a Motorola 12VDC belt driven alternator. The alternator charged a
Group 8D battery which in turn ran the lights.

Petter had a deal where you could turn in a core (complete engine) and they
would discount the purchase of a new engine heavily. We used to have these sign
board companies come in at the end of the construction season with literally
truckloads of Petter AC1 engines to trade in on new ones.

The old engines went back to Petter and were crushed, we were told.

We didn't sell a lot of Listers that I know of, as the equipment manufacturers
didn't want to invest the cost of an engine into their products. We saw sales
in agriculture and irrigation, though.

Parts for Listers were nothing short of obscene, but considering that it wasn't
unusual to get 20,000 hours or more out of an engine, you could justify the
expense.

Dan

Sent from my iPad