Since there are several knowledgeable cooks on the list, I have a questio:

Because nearly all canned vegetables have a lot of salt, as well as some of the
frozen vegetables, I bought an 8 quart crock pot/slow cooker that has 4
settings; 4 and 6 hours on high, and 8 and 10 hours on low; with the intention
of cooking raw vegetable in such a way that I can't under-cook, over-cook, or
mess them up in other ways.

No cooking instructions came with the crock pot, and the instructions on the
'net were nearly all about cooking complicated recipes. No one addressed the
technique of cooking raw vegetables, and there was much dispute about how much
water should be added.

I dumped the 3 to 4 quarts of raw vegetable in the pot, covered them with water
and set the pot on 8 hours and low temperature. When it was done, none of the
water seemed to have evaporated and the vegetables had sunk below the surface.
Some of the vegetables seemed to have lost their flavor, so I'm wondering how
little water can be used when cooking raw vegetables since that improves the
flavor according to several on the 'net?

The opinions on the 'net varied from a half cup of water to covering the
vegetables with water (what I did).

With a lot of butter and a couple of chicken sausages cut up on top and
reheated in the microwave, the vegetable were pretty good, but it would be
better to have vegetables flavorful enough to be eaten without any butter,
meat, or flavoring like we did in Indiana during WW-2.
Thanks,

Gerry

P.S. The pot is the "Crockpot" brand if that means anything.

P.S.2: If I put uncooked bacon in with the vegetable, will that flavor the
vegetables or must the bacon be cooked first?