2.  I don't think so, I would imagine that if proper coolant was always
used and changed on schedule, that would never be a problem.  Maybe you can
take it out and have a good radiator shop test it and give you an opinion?
Get a used heater core from junkyard and have that tested before-hand, and
then swap it in on The Big Day?

3. Center vent actuators (and presumably all the rest of the vacuum
controlled actuators) do indeed go bad.  I've got that condition right
now.  I think I found a Youtube tutorial / how-to that showed all the
steps, was quite illuminating.  Be warned!!! It is quite easy to break
things, expensive things, if you don't know what you are doing.  The
written steps may not be enough to learn beforehand, so I highly recommend
searching around on Youtube before or while you are doing the work.

Max
Charleston SC