Gosh thanks for all the replies so quick on Saturday night!

I had similar thoughts to Dan about the relative wisdom of skimping, and
similar thoughts to Curly about how 4 seasons might actually outperform the
mb part.

The guy who suggested four seasons is the son of a 30y mb master mechanic
and seems to know more than a little bit about these cars.

No I am not doing the job myself. (But thanks for thinking I am the kind of
guy who might). One hopes I am saving some money anyway by repairing things
elsewhere.

Peter I have no idea where this crimp joint you refer to may be. There must
be some galvanic corrosion in any circuit where copper and aluminum
coexist, though I don't see the aluminum and copper pipes being in direct
contact anywhere except the fins, which are on the outside and not leak
prone at the joint. What am I missing?

Clearly this is a subject about which reasonable men may disagree! This
sort of passionate disagreement over arcana is what makes this list is so
great.

Did that attachment ever get through?

Karl
85 300td