GEORGE TALES - THE SCROUNGER
By Wilton Strickland, Lt Col, USAF (Ret)

We had many buildings on base that were built during WWII and were now condemned, sold to salvagers or awaiting being burned by our fire department for training exercises. I examined three of the buildings to be burned and realized that I could easily remove certain 2 x 6 and 2 x 8 beams without rendering the buildings unsafe for the fire department's exercises, so I obtained proper written permission from the base commander to remove elements from certain buildings "of no further value to the Air Force." Often, on late afternoons or Saturday mornings, then, I'd pull my van up to one of the condemned buildings and go in with my step ladder, crow bar and hammer and take some of the building parts, load up my bounty and drive away without anybody ever questioning my actions. One of the buildings was directly and immediately beside Security Police Headquarters, and a small wooden bridge I dismantled and hauled away was less than half a block directly in front of the police building. I was surprised that nobody was ever curious enough to confront me. Maybe they recognized the van or me and assumed that it must be okay (which it was), but I never had to show the commander's letter. This does not mean that the dismantling and hauling went completely unobserved, however. Late one afternoon and early evening, I had partially dismantled the bridge and most of the long beams were loaded onto my '74 Plymouth van with several feet of each protruding out the back of the van. I had attached a red flag and red reflector on the end of one of the beams to improve their visibility for the night trip to our cabin 35 miles away in the San Gabriel Mountains, where I planned to use the beams in the building of a deck. Almost immediately after I exited the base onto the main highway for the trip to the cabin, flashing blue lights of a CHP cruiser were behind me. I pulled over, thinking the officer was going to jump me for having the beams protruding so far out the back or not having a light on them or question why I was leaving the base loaded with such beams, especially at night. He asked for my license and registration, which I immediately presented, of course. He glanced at them, handed them back and said, "Sorry to have bothered you, Sir. Have a nice evening." I put my license back in my wallet, threw the registration card on the engine cover by my right leg and proceeded on my trip. A couple of days later, I picked up the registration card and, as I started to put it back in the glove compartment, I noticed that the card was for a '64 Dodge van that I had traded a couple of years before for the '76 Plymouth van that I was driving!!! The CHP officer never noticed the difference, and I never knew why he had stopped me. I also salvaged several nice 2 X 12's that had served as overhead bullet baffles at an outdoor firing range no longer in use. Many of the beams downrange had bullets in them, but those from near the firing line were bullet-free. I ripped these 2 X 12's down the middle to make 2 X 6's rafters for a new outbuilding at the cabin. We also had a contract to completely refurbish a significant number of base living quarters/houses, including "gutting" and rebuilding the interiors. Late one afternoon, I drove through the project area and observed many stacks of used 2 X 4 studs lying outside the houses. They had been in the houses for at least 30 years and were dry, straight and would be very serviceable after removing the nails. The next day, I asked the contractor what he planned to do with them. He replied that he'd probably have to give them away or burn them, "Nobody wants to bother with removing the nails to reuse them." I asked if I could have some of them, to which he replied, "Please take all you want. It'll certainly save me the bother of getting rid of them." Late that afternoon, I took my two teenage sons to help me load the van with the studs. The boys were terribly embarrassed that a friend might see them helping Dad scrounge salvaged material. I told them, "Your friends are not even near this area, so don't be concerned about it, and think about this. For every stud you put in the van, that's 50 cents we're getting for nothing." Over a few days we filled the van with several loads of the studs. I also salvaged enough kitchen cabinets from the housing project to build a nice, modern kitchen in the cabin. 'Also used some of the cabinets for storage space and a work bench in the new outbuilding. The 20 X 16 outbuilding was built mostly of materials salvaged from the base. The only things I had to buy for the building were concrete for the floor, roof covering, cedar shingles for siding to match the house, nails and electrical wiring and fixtures, 'Even scrounged a couple of windows and a door from the condemned buildings on base to use in the new building. The salvaged materials were also used to build a "mezzanine" or balcony above half of the large, first floor, main, central room of the cabin which had a vaulted ceiling open to the underside of the roof. One of the beams, 6 X 10 heart, Southern yellow pine, from the bridge worked perfectly to span the open space and provide the main support for the outer edge of the "mezzanine." This space greatly enhanced our use and enjoyment of the cabin - only 1000 square feet before the balcony, which added about 200 square feet. In late '77, as I was preparing for a year in Greenland, we put about half of our furniture in storage and the rest in the cabin, where my wife and our two teenage boys lived until they rejoined me at Goldsboro, NC, in Aug, '79. In Dec., '77 and Jan, '78, just before leaving for Greenland, I also built a large deck across half the front and around most of one side of the cabin. The bridge beams also provided the structural elements for the deck. While working on the deck, I was working so hard and late, sometime until 10 PM, SWMBO came to the door several times to beg me to go inside, "I'm worried about you. You need some rest and sleep."
   I replied, "I can rest and sleep when I get to Greenland."
Her response, "Well, it's late; your hammering is keeping the neighbors awake. Please, come inside." My reply, "THEY, too, can sleep after I go to Greenland." (Actually, the houses/cabins near us were occupied by week-enders and were not often there during the week.) As a matter of fact, I really was working too long and hard on the project - never told SWMBO that I had lost some feeling and some control of my right arm from so much hammering, and several times I was unable to stand because my legs were so tired, my knees collapsed. I was literally crawling around on the deck and learned to hammer with my left hand. The feeling and complete control of the arm slowly returned to normal after a few weeks in Greenland, and I've never told anybody else about it until now. 'Had a bit of a hassle with the San Bernardino County building inspector just two days before I was to leave for Greenland. According to him, everything was satisfactory with the deck except height of the railing, which was at 36 inches. He insisted it had to be at 42 inches. I told him I had never seen nor heard such, "All I've ever known is 36 inches for deck rail height." He replied, "No, it has to be at 42. What people usually do in a case like this is to add a planter box or something like that on top of the rail to make it 42." I replied, "Well, just write me a ticket, take it to court or do whatever you have to do, but I'm leaving for a year in Greenland in two days, and that railing is going to be at 36 inches." He also wrote me up for not having the grounding conductors in the outbuilding wiring system "mechanically" connected to each receptacle and switch box (all metal then). I responded, "They're mechanically connected to each box by a screw. What's wrong with that?" He answered, "Mechanically" means connected under a little clip that clips to the side of the box with the wire pushed up under it." I replied that, "It seems to me that the screw attached securely to the box is a better electrical connection than a clip, but okay, I'll fix that whenever I can get back from Greenland." (As it turned out, I was able to get back for couple of days in mid-April, and installed the clips.) As for the deck rail height, as soon as the inspector left, I stepped inside the cabin and exclaimed to SWMBO, "Guess what the fool inspector just told me about the deck railing. He says it has to be at 42 inches. He's crazy as Hell!! I told 'im to take me to court, it's going to be 36!" I was standing immediately inside the front door with my back to it as I made the comment about the "crazy fool" when there was a knock at the door. I opened it to see the inspector standing there holding the code book in his hand and saying, "I'm terribly sorry, Sir. You're right. The rail is supposed to be at 36 inches. Let me have the tick for a minute. I'll correct it."

Wilton