True, but it's "buying power" is never based on deliberate governmental
devalutation (inflation) like the dollar. Over time, the averaged price of gold
continues to increase in value. For example, the gold that a friend bought in
the 1980s is now worth four times what he paid for it, and at one time was
worth 6 times what he paid for it in US$.
Of course, the gold standard is an impractical system in the current, fast
moving, computerized world.
Gerry