It all depends on what the definition of "is" is W.J Clinton (Slick willie trying to get out of willie trouble)

As previously posted, both factions are right. It is a different block, but as you say, the same block can be built into a vergasser, and has the same dimensions as the 350 gasser. There is no standardized definition of what Dieselized is. I say strengthening the casting, using Diesel pistons etc. is Dieselizing an existing design, but your faction is also correct in that many internal parts were redesigned to dieselize the 350.

Grrr... Not true, they share displacement and thats about it. It was a special block which I'm given to understand the block is highly desirable for those looking to build a gasser. The 2 basic problems were the lack of water separation as previously mentioned and the weak head clamping. Once they worked out the head bolts and people realized they needed a real water separator they were fine although under powered for the displacement.
-Curt

      From: Rich Thomas via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Cc: Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
 Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2016 6:51 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] Project anyone?
The 5.7 was basically your average Chebby 350 that was dieselized and
not very well

--R

On 1/17/16 6:37 PM, fmiser via Mercedes wrote:
 Curly wrote:

 My friend with the grain elevator used to buy shovey PUs
 back then with the oldsmodiesel in them.  I told him he was
 nuts, but he put filter/separators on and had good service
 life.  Much better than contemporary gassers from detriot.
 I don't think the pickups ever had a factory installed  5.7 L
 diesel.  The 6.2 is _not_ the same engine as the 5.7 diesel
 or any of the small-block gasoline of similar displacement.