If the W126 is anything like my W123 and W116 models, the centre vents only
emit air when cooling, NOT when heating. So it makes sense that as the interior
temperature approaches the target that the centre vents would emit air to begin
to balance the interior temperatures.

Nothing to with what you're trying to figure out here, but I would also mention
that unplugging the aux water pump (the unfused one that burns out and takes
the pushbutton unit with) is a good idea. It's mostly unnecessary and see above
re hazard. There are now fuse kits available, but again I've never seen the
point of that pump and I've lived in some very cold places.

D.