You may not have used a Mac since the switch to Intel then, I have had both
Windows and Red Hat Linux running on a Mac Mini without any OS X install on
the disk at all. Although, I will say that since the Intel Macs all use EFI
and not Legacy BIOS, you have to be very sure the OS you are trying to
install is *fully* EFI compliant. Most versions of Windows before 7 force
EFI to act like Legacy BIOS, thus don't work very will on Mac hardware
without Boot Camp to help. 7, 8 and 10, however, do EFI and GPT so don't
need OS X at all.

Linux is even more hit or miss because most of the "Live CD" distros that
also offer the recovery tools all want Legacy BIOS as well. So getting
those to boot straight has interesting characteristics. However, a modern
Mac is modern Intel (x64, EFI, GPT) and will boot and run anything that
meets those requirements.

EdB

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Macs will not boot with anything other than OS X. The Linux distros that
> run on Mac always bootstrap off an existing Mac OS to run.
> I went down this road a couple years ago when I first got my Macbook Pro,
> I'd had troubles with PC laptops in the past and had been saved by bootable
> USB drives. I never could get one to work on my Mac. I consider this a HUGE
> limitation of the Mac...
> -Curt

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*