      From: Ed Booher <edboo...@gmail.com>
 To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Monday, May 16, 2016 7:44 AM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: bootable USB stick, El Crap content

You may not have used a Mac since the switch to Intel then, I have had both
Windows and Red Hat Linux running on a Mac Mini without any OS X install on the
disk at all. Although, I will say that since the Intel Macs all use EFI and not
Legacy BIOS, you have to be very sure the OS you are trying to install is
*fully* EFI compliant. Most versions of Windows before 7 force EFI to act like
Legacy BIOS, thus don't work very will on Mac hardware without Boot Camp to
help. 7, 8 and 10, however, do EFI and GPT so don't need OS X at all.
Linux is even more hit or miss because most of the "Live CD" distros that also
offer the recovery tools all want Legacy BIOS as well. So getting those to boot
straight has interesting characteristics. However, a modern Mac is modern Intel
(x64, EFI, GPT) and will boot and run anything that meets those requirements.
EdB
On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes