On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Curly McLain via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> The root of the problem is that when they moved to intel,  mac had to
> regress back to 32 bit.  Now all support for Core 2 intel boxes  (32 bit)
> is over or ending, so only i5 or i7 macs  are workable, and they are new
> enough they still bring significant prices for used boxes. Plus the loss of
> 32 bit support is causing a high demand for i5 and i7 macs, driving prices
> up.  (I've learned most of this from Dan. Thanks Dan!)  (Intel is/was
> retarded)

Well, the PowerMac G5 was 64-bit, but it was a "Pro" marketed machine, and
the only one. The rest of the PowerMac line up was 32-bit. When they moved
to Intel, the Mac Pro 1,1 used 64 bit Xeons so was comparable to the
PowerMac G5. Since the "consumer" Mac was 32-bit, there really wasn't a
"regression" per se. The real problem is the original EFI was 32-bit, and
the main reason there is such a harsh cut off on some of the older hardware
that should still run the modern OS X, 32-bit EFI meant a limitation in
Memory addressing. I have a 32/64 Mac Mini that can only address 3 GB of
RAM. The processor can do 64-bit, and I have run 64 bit Red Hat on it, but
it will not address larger memory.

EdB.