It’s actually referred to as a C3 or C4 system.  C3 uses a serial port and the
C4 USB or WiFi, I think.

It will cover anything starting with the 38 pin diagnostic connector all the
way up to the systems used in 2010, maybe later. My W220 used the OBD II port
for a connection.

It’s actually sort of amazing with the older cars, since it has an emulator
that emulates the handheld tester that was originally designed for the 38 pin
diagnostic connector they started out with in the early 1990s.  It’s amazingly
powerful - you can get real time readings of things like spark voltages and
durations, transmission clutch engagement times, some really deep engineering
related stuff.

I know a guy on BenzWorld who uses one to gauge the wear on the 722.6
transmissions by looking at the clutch engagement times.

The later systems are Xentry, and you would be overwhelmed by the amount of
data that it can produce and give you access to.  I think there were over 200
different screens for my 2003 S430 (W220) when I went through it.

These systems cover from the HHT (hand held tester) to DAS, which is early
2000s, to Xentry, which I believe started in 2007 or thereabouts.  You can get
them with the cables, MUX (multiplexer) and a computer on Alibaba for anywhere
from $400 up.  I bought a C3 system with just the cables, MUX and a VM of the
software on an external drive for a little over $300 shipped to the States.