> Karl wrote:
>
> What you're saying about ambient inlet pressure making no
> difference on a turbocharged engine is not quite correct.

> ...the turbo operates on a pressure ratio. The lower the ambient
> pressure at the turbo inlet, the longer it takes for the turbo to
> spool, because it is feeding the engine less air at each rpm than
> it otherwise would.

Ah!   You are talking about rapid increase in engine RPM.  I was
referring to power output - sustained.

So, if you man "it takes longer for the turbo to build pressure"
rather than "it takes longer for the turbo to spool" - I fully
agree.

> So a less restrictive filter results in faster spool. I also
> found that top end performance was improved, with a higher max
> rpm at max throttle. Is isn't even subtle. Taking off from a
> stoplight is a different experience.

Hmm.  That doesn't match my experience with various diesel turbo
engines.  But if your experiences were otherwise, who am I to argue!