The last time I eliminated an EGR, I made the copper plug from a 3/4" copper elbow. cut the end off, opened it up,flattened it. Once you have a copper disk, you hold it over the manifold hole and tap, tap, tap, around the edges with a small hammer until it is cupped around the manifold hole.

Meade Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 27, 2016 at 4:58 PM
Here you go, found in about 20 minutes on PP forum:

"For our '97 E300's you don't to do anything like on the turbo motors. What
I have done and is disconnect the metal pipe going from the manifold, to
the EGR and flipped it 180. The longer portion of the pipe is directed
toward the firewall with a valve cover breather installed at the end. The
shorter end can be mounted back onto the EGR valve. No CEL's. Everything
still works as designed. Just need to make a blocking plate for the hole
coming off of the manifold. I used a copper pipe end, flattened it and
trimmed it to fit.

'97 does NOT have a MAF. "

See post 111 in this thread:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/168261-got-time-egr-bypass-606-turbo-8.html

You can credit my account (for purchasing used parts) with my usual fee....

Max Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM
On peach parts forum, the way to delete the EGR has been posted. You can do it, just need to know how to fool the computer. Many have done it.
Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM
New ones are $550-$650. There was a used one on eBay for like $400

Sent from my iPhone

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 27, 2016 at 1:14 PM
Why? Can't you just block it off?