> clay wrote:
>
> The SDL, after a bunch of cleaning has a messed up oil pan.  I
> think it is aluminum, and the PO seems to have damaged it a bit
> such that it leaks through the hole that got made.  An epoxy
> patch has been applied that is now weeping.

If that epoxy was just slapped on top, I'm not surprised it leaks.

Point 1 - like with welding _clean_metal_ is important for a good
          bond with epoxy.

Point 2 - If the pan is aluminum, I presume the metal has some
          thickness to it.  Grind out a bevel so the epoxy isn't
          just on the surface.

Point 3 - Don't use 5 minute epoxy.  In my experience, those are
          handy for when there isn't time - but the slow set make a
          better joint.

The pan off would make cleaning it easier, and could get the hole
in a spot where gravity would help keep the epoxy in while it set.

If it were mine, I would see if it was practical to take off the
pan, but either way, I would clean it, grind out a bevel, clean it
again, and use JB Weld to close it up.

Jim's idea of a screw is good too.  Again, clean is your friend.