The 80 amp fuse is intended for running 6 glow plugs. It is the WRONG fuse. The correct fuse looks the same but will be 50 amp. This was in my post yesterday. Another post yesterday told you the fuse was in the top of the relay, under the relay cover, and exactly how to take the cover off.

Since the fuse blew, you could still have a grounded GP. If so, the next fuse will blow also. Each fuse will blow until you locate and correct the problem. It is also possible that one of the wires to the GP is shorted to the block. This is a common problem in the OM60x engines, and less common on the iron head engines like yours. I'd guess you have a shorted out GP. The test procedure is in my post from last night. Without a meter that has a range of 0-20 or 0-50 ohms or a finer scale, or a digital that can read in 10th of an ohm, it is very difficult to discriminate between a shorted GP and a good GP.

At any rate, before you stick in another fuse, test the ohm readings at GP wire harness that plugs into the GP relay. Read the ohms between each of the 4 sockets with liners in them and a good ground. A good GP will read 1.4 ohms + or - 0.5 ohm. A grounded plug will read 0 or the same reading you get when you hold the two meter probes together. (depending on the meter, this may not be 0)

John Ingram via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 3, 2016 at 6:12 PM
Hello Everyone,
I went out to the car and searched for the fuse and finally found it inside the cover on top of the relay. I hope it is the right fuse because it was blown and came out in two pieces. It is just a steel band and looks like the fuses in the on-line websites. The only lettering I can find looks to say 80A and is followed by a P with a circle around it. Is this possible? This car is a very late 83 240D, one of the last ones sent. Over the years I have had to use the VIN number in order to get the right part. I think MBZ was using the parts they had left when they made this car. Some parts were clearly from earlier years, others may have been last minute changes.
I think I’ll look for a fuse first (80A?), It might fix it.
Thank you all again for your help!
John Ingram