I think the guamanians have the best idea. Concrete house with concrete roof. Vertical bars across windows. When the typhoon comes, they slide planks behind the bars to protect the windows, go inside and ride it out.

Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 4, 2016 at 8:23 PM
A silly thought:
Most all houses have "shutters" bolted to the outside of the house. Seems like hurricanes are a common enough occurrence to make actual shutters a thing worth having. In the case of a storm just close them. I mean if you were going to build a thing anyway...

-Curt