I drove from Cambridge to Orlando straight through once, then back a week later. I put a notice on the ride board to see if anyone wanted a ride, pay some gas money, some guy calls and says he did. So he got dropped off at an exit on 95, he had no particular plans just wanted to go to Florida. He had a small backpack. OK, I will pick you up RIGHT HERE next Saturday at 10AM or whatever, if you aren't here, you're ridin the dog back to Boston. OK he says. On the 20-some hour ride he said about 6 words the whole time, which were an odd oblique second-degree abstraction reference to a billboard we had passed about 50 miles before, in the middle of the night. After about 15 minutes I was able to work it out, and said something in reply, he just grunted. I think he was a genius-level functional idiot.

Stop to pick him up, he was there at the gas station. Gets in the car and the stench was gagging me and my other friend. Turns out he just hitchhiked to wherever was near there, down to the beach, and stayed under a bridge for the week. Met some bum who was living there too, they ate oysters or mussels or something ("seafood" he said) they picked from the creek. He had a great time. Next exit I stopped at a gas station, got out a rag and a bar of soap I had in my bag, told him he was to go in and bathe and if he still stunk he was finding his own way home. He was in there a little while, came back with his change of clothes from the backpack on (he wore the same clothes all week), and fairly tolerable. He made no complaint of it, it was like it never happened. Again, he said about 6 words the rest of the whole ride back, then thanked me for the ride and walked off when we got back to campus.

--FT

On 10/7/16 4:14 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
Theres sort of a challenge among a certain kind of person around here to make
it all the way to Miami in one shot. Its a 24 hour drive and I know several
people who claim to have done it. I think they're idiots...
-Curt

       From: Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  To: Mercedes List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com>
  Sent: Friday, October 7, 2016 4:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [MBZ] Auto transport
Unless you started out really early in the morning, I wouldn’t think about trying to go from Naples to DC in one day. That would be a very, very long day.

I’ve made it from Reading, PA to SC or GA in one day, and even that’s a haul.

I just did the drive from Little Rock, AR to Tampa earlier this year when I got
my 350SDL, and that was 14 hours nearly nonstop.  I went across to ATL and then
down, rather than dropping down across MS.  It was a little longer, but faster
and all interstate.  If I hadn’t been within a few hours of home when I started
to get tired I would have stopped.  I left LR around noon local time (1:00 pm
Tampa time) and got home around 3:30 am, if I recall correctly.  I was wiped
out.

And yes, I broke some laws doing it.

Dan

On Oct 7, 2016, at 3:56 PM, Donald Snook via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>