MIT student, I forget what his field of study was. So it is quite possible he
had some sort of derangement. I'm pretty sure he was off the scale intelligent
but he was of the kind who was barely functional in society.

There was a phrase used on guys like that (there were some girls too), "no toad
sexing."  It mostly referred to an admonition to just avoid them, minimize
interaction especially in "that" way.

I recall too this girl who was a year ahead of me At Purdue in the aero Astro
dept too. She was very smart but not very socially adept. I vaguely knew her,
she me, we had the occasional conversation and attended events, etc.  So I had
been at mit maybe a week, I was walking up the main steps and literally ran
into her as she had her head somewhere and was paying no attention to what she
was doing. This before texting but basically same behavior.  I see it is her
and say hi to her, how are you, etc. she looks at me like I have 3 heads and
turns around and runs off.  Seriously, like I was a mugger or something. She
was working on her Ph.D. In the aero Astro dept, I was nominally enrolled in
that dept too, and the AA offices were just down the hall from where I camped
so I would see her somewhat frequently, similar behavior. Weird as hell. She
went on to be a shuttle astronaut, flew several times. She died of breast
cancer a coupla years ago, apparently just had her mother besides work
 colleagues.  Kinda sad.

--R (sent from my miniPad)

On Oct 7, 2016, at 9:18 PM, archer75--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

The guy sounds like a functional autistic.

Wasn't that scenario pretty common during the anti-Vietnam era?