Witnessed a number of Klan rallies and cross burnings as a kid in central
Indiana during the 1970s.  Pretty scary stuff at the time.

Saw a cross burning in the front yard of a house that was owned by an AA family
in a small town close to me.  Local (volunteer) fire department was there,
didn’t put it out.  Someone in the crowd asked them why they didn’t put it out.
 They said they were there to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby homes.