I can see it being the window seal or the wiper nozzle seal possibly the tailgate seal itself at the top. The wiper shaft goes through the glass and could cause it but you would notice the carpet on the door is wet so if that's it it is easy to diagnose but in that case I would think you would have more water in the third seat footwell then the tailgate itself. I think the top of the carpet there is pretty tight against the tailgate itself or at least it is on mine that there shouldn't be significant water getting under it.

Manfred

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:36:38 -0800
From: Karl Wittnebel <atypical...@gmail.com>

I sent this a few days ago, but it never went out.

The tailgate on my 85 Wagon is filling with water when it rains. A new
behavior. Is it usually the window seal, the wiper nozzle seal, the wiper
stalk seal, or the main door gasket? Some water in the footwell of the 3rd
seat also.

I guess the first step is reinstall the glass. The door gasket looks good,
but perhaps I could tighten the latch position a bit.

Thanks.