Well, the answer is "e" - none of the above.

When the tailgate was replaced, the rubber cover for the wiring harness was
cut, then zip tied back together. So it was scooping up water running into
the top body gap and letting it into the tailgate. The wiper stalk didn't
leak at all. Nor did the window seal.

Good news is my new wiper motor seems to have made the leap to hyperspace
aka the new old tailgate. And I live in CA where it doesn't rain much.

No idea how to get that boot replaced. Does the tailgate need to come off?

Thanks,
Karl