But, it might be a means of starting the engine if the glow plugs were inoperative.

RB

On 28/02/2017 10:25 AM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
In an MB (car anyway) you don't get any choice...
-Curt

       From: Karl Wittnebel <atypical...@gmail.com>
  To: "mercedes@okiebenz com" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>; Curt Raymond
<curtlud...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Meade Dillon <dillonm...@gmail.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:20 AM
  Subject: Re: [MBZ] Interesting thread on possible replacement for group 49
battery
No reason to glow it with ether.
On Feb 28, 2017 7:54 AM, "Curt Raymond via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

I didn't put ether in it. If the head is cracked, and it probably IS cracked,
that or a cracked block, its because of the massive overheating the time the
lower radiator hose clamp broke and the hose fell off.
I think I misstated the effect of ether, IIRC when ether hits the glow plugs it
lifts the head, ruining the studs.
-Curt