Did all this farm equipment have direct injection diesel engines, or
indirect injection, or gasoline?

I've started my fair share of gasoline engines with some help from ether
during Wisconsin winters, but when I purchased my first MB diesel I had
much to "un-learn" in order to become comfortable performing all my own
diagnostics and repairs.

I guess comes down to whether or not Marshall Booth was to be believed or
not.  In almost every other aspect of what I learned from him, he was right
on the mark, so I've decided to follow his advice on this point as well.
Max
Charleston SC