On Mar 7, 2006, at 4:19 PM, andrew strasfogel wrote:

I rented a Hyundai Sonata this weekend and cruised effortlessly at 80 on I-91 between Hartrod and Hadley, MAe. I felt secure too, whereas I wouldn't want to cruise at that speed in my '83 300TD no matter how great a car it is. I think the technology and improvements ergonomics makes the newer
cars inherently safer.

I recently rented a Hyundai Sonata. My experience is the exact opposite of yours. The rental had only 4,600 miles on it. Yeah, it did 80+mph but I did not feel as secure as I did in my 1982 300CD and 190D 2.5. Both of which I was driving right around that time. I mentioned this to my wife while cruising I-95 back to my temp digs on in Stuart Fla.

Next to the Kia Sedona that Enterprise initially gave me as an "upgrade" , the Sonata was the worst piece of shit, new car that I ever drove. It would veer on acceleration, the headrest was in no way usable, seats uncomfortable, controls not placed intuitively, handling sucked. It was basic transportation, an econo-box. I would request something different if offered a Hyundai Sonata again by a car rental agency. Your 300TD must be in pretty rough shape if a Sonata makes you feel more secure. Mine is a pleasure to drive at 257,000mi and I regularly cruise over 90mph for hours on end without a care in the world (except maybe the Police).

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am