I guess the definition of "need" depends on your personal views.  Heck, I
don't "need" anything.  I'll agree, I don't need my Subaru, but it makes
things a heck of a lot easier.  I never have to say "the weather looks bad,
maybe I should wait till later" or "that road hasn't been plowed, maybe I
should find another route".  I like just being able to go no matter the
conditions.  And when on the highway, I can generally keep 60-70mph year
round.  Now, this is largely because of the AWD, but a LOT of it has to do
with the tires.
I put some brand new All seasons on and left them because apparently we're
not having more than a couple weeks of winter this year in
upstate/western/central/whatever NY.  But, the day or two where we did have
some slick stuff I can see what a major problem is.  It's the lack of
smoothness.  In other words, with my Blizzaks on the Subaru I can drive
pretty much normally year round.  Don't get me wrong, I have to slow down
more for turns and things, but not NEAR the level that is required with all
seasons, and even though AWD doesn't help you in stopping, you can
definitely take corners a little faster since if you keep your foot on the
gas a bit it will pull you through in most situations.

BUT with the all seasons, I find myself in more of the "woah, that could get
me in trouble" situations.  Like accelerating up a hill..  "hey these tires
stick pretty good!", then I hit a bit more of a center crest in the road and
it starts sliding sideways towards the ditch.  Not fun.  I find it similar
to 2WD driving.  You no longer have the vehicle as a whole.  You have either
the front or the rear acting on it's own heading sideways...

Of course with the all seasons I can largely just put the accelerator to the
floor when taking an empty intersection from a stop and let the rear end
hang out about half-way and then it just pulls itself straight.  (:

I agree completely that FWD and even RWD can get you through MOST of the
situations if you are willing to compromise.  But there is no comparison in
"real" traction.  I've driven FWD's and RWD's with studs and snow tires.
The FWD's do pretty good, but it's still easy to get them stuck once you get
a little bit of snow under one end.  RWD, forget it.  The second you leave
dry pavement, or encounter a little bit of snow or ice they are useless.
You either have one wheel spinning like mad and going nowhere, or with a
locker you have two wheels spinning and heading for the ditch and you're
still not going forwards...

Also, don't confuse me with one of the "oh I have 4wd, I'm safe from
anything" idiots.  I have a pretty good idea what my car does in various
conditions.  And if nothing else, I can realize when I'm at that fine line
of "well, it seems to be doing well, but I could potentially start sliding
at any time, so I'm going to try to be prepared for it"

Levi
Sorry for the rant, but over the years I've grown to feel pretty strongly
about it.  For that matter so as my wife.  (and yes she is the typical
mechanically un-inclined)