Andrew Strasfogel wrote:   Seems like this group comprises all the major
ailments, which offers me hope for an answer to the question I am about to pose.

> Several years back I developed a gastrointestinal reflux issue (GERD) that
> only manifests itself when I am asleep.  I typically awake thirsty  around
> 4 AM because my mouth dries out (mouth breather), and when I take a sip of
> water that immediately detonates the GERD depth charger.  I get this queasy
> feeling that keeps me from going back to sleep.
>
> I've also tried a Tums at bed time, with very limited success, as well as
> ginger pills and Nexium-and Prevacid type drugs.  The latter only makes
> things worse.  Oddly, I never have any symptoms when awake during the day,
> and the symptoms are almost exclusively triggered when I take that 4AM sip
> of water.  Ideally, I wuld like to take a pill at bedtime to get me through
> this nasty ritual.
>
> Anyone else BTDT?

The first thing I would do would be to make an appt with a gastroenterologist
since the symptoms seem strange. A heliobacter pylori infection, which can
cause gerd, can also cause stomach cancer.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=bacterium+that+causes+gerd&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If the doctor prescribed Nexium or Prevacid or similar drugs, I would ask for a
ranitidine 150 mg prescription since it doesn't have the most serious side
effects of the others.

That's what I would do. I'm not suggesting that you do the same, however, since
"practicing medicine without a license" could cost me my lab rat licence and I
might need it again if the government guts social security any more than they
have already by eliminating COLA.
Good luck,
Gerry

---