What Mitch said!

I don't see any problems in those pictures. It looks like a car in pretty good condition. I am puzzled by the oval hole. I have seen a very rusty 124 being driven long mile trips. My 126 certainly qualifies as a rustbucket, and has a break in the frame, but I am not afraid to drive it anywhere. The rustiest car I ever drove was the 115 300D I junked. I drove it 750 miles home with the rear fenders flapping in the wind, and it left jetsam at every bump in the road.

I am certainly not afraid to drive it or buy it.

Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 18, 2017 at 1:53 PM
What the others said.
The control arms attach to the subframe, right?
And the subframe attaches to the body?

If the subframe to body mount is rusted away, she's dead.
If the body is rusted where the top of the shock attaches, that's repairable but indicative of the car's impending demise. If the subframe is rusted where the control arm attaches, it's an expensive fix to replace the subframe.

Otherwise, all I see is a very new shock, and surface rust on the spring seat. I'm not sure what's up with that oval hole in the picture, it looks too precisely shaped to be a rust through, is it a dirty but intentional factory hole?

__