Well, for an anecdotal story on the other side, I was inoculated with the
flu vaccine and many many others during my military career.  I rarely get
sick with anything.  I don't know that an annual flu vaccine has made a
positive difference in my case, but they sure haven't hurt me.  Before I
started getting all the military vaccines (high school and college) I was
also very rarely sick.

Vitamin D: In our area for my family, vitamin D levels are routinely
included in blood panels, but I do agree that 'Merican medicine focuses too
much on treatment with pharma rather than preventive medicine and healthy
living.  Latest and greatest pharma seems to be what many doc's know about
and prescribe, but knowing a good pharmacist and understanding other
medicines that are cheaper and usually just as effective can help a lot.
In one case, a doc declined to even take the time to look up a medicine
that SWMBO knew of from living in Italy, so she borrowed the drug reference
book from the nurses station, looked it up herself, and then went back to
the Doc and showed him what she wanted.  He relented but was mighty upset
that his patient knew more than he and stood up to him, needless to say we
switched docs after that episode.