Results

Briefly: Being over 70, the complication rate for your GF's mom would roughly
be 7.6% which is very low. Surprisingly the complication rate for someone less
than 70 years would roughly be twice as much (15.1%).

Among 574 patients with a permanent pacemaker, 259 patients (45.1%) were below
and 315 patients (54.9%) were above or at 70 years of age. There were 240
(92.7%) and 19 (7.3%) dual-chamber pacemaker (DDD) and single-chamber pacemaker
(VVI) implanted patients in the younger group, and 291 (76.8%) and 73 (23.2%)
DDD and VVI pacemaker implanted patients in the elderly group, respectively.
The complication rate was 39 (15.1%) out of 259 young patients and 24 (7.6%)
out of 315 elderly patients. Postprocedural complications were statistically
lower in the elderly patients than in younger patients (P = 0.005).

Conclusion

A pacemaker implantation performed by an experienced operator is a safe
procedure for patients of advanced age. The patients who are above 70 years old
may have less complication rates than the younger patients.

The Brits go into more detail, but the overall percentage is probably about the
same:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pacemaker-implantation/risks/

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 10:38:24 -0500
Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> My gf's mom (70+) is getting a pacemaker installed today. SHe is in
> otherwise good health.  How risky is this procedure?  Anyone on the list
> BTDT?
>
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Max Dillon via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>

> > On December 28, 2017 10:47:13 PM EST, Craig via Mercedes <
> > mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> > >medicine
> > >then
> > >
> > >Good thing to do! Did you tell others?
> > >

> > Yes, about both.  Ever since then my wife has kept one or two pharmacists
> > in her circle so she can learn of other medicines that might be less
> > expensive or more appropriate, but more importantly which drugs to stay
> > away from.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Max Dillon
> > Charleston SC