Yes, summer fuel has higher BTU/gal. That is why they put in the tank heaters and run summer fuel year round.

ALL MB Diesels since 1986 have a fuel heater. (At least the USA models do) That is 32 years. But, it only works when the engine is warm. So in the trucking world, I'd guess the tank heaters started about 1980 to 1990 somewhere, and after 199x they became nearly standard, but I am sure short hauls based in the south could still spec a car without tank heaters, but all the OTR trucks had them sometime in the early 1990s.

When I got the load of summer fuel and it turned 20 below, once I got the SDL started, I let it run a long time, because the fuel heater did start to thaw out the gelled mess, and I needed to run out fuel so I could get more Kerosene in the tank.

Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 31, 2017 at 5:25 PM
Winter blend gets way less mpg doesnt it? I would think that would be a big problem for large trucking companies. I have never seen or heard of any different diesel being used in the winter here.