> What sort of lantern do you all recommend for residential use?

An Aladdin kerosene mantle lamp.  Bright, dead quiet.  We have two.

Mantles used to use thorium oxide, which is mildly radioactive.  (I know I
stuffed one into a gamma counter I had once, and it definitely reacted.)
 Not sure what they use now, but they're not quite as bright and emit
somewhat greener light, if I'm remembering the old ones correctly.  I can't
find the gamma counter, my family might have tossed it, so I can't test
current mantles the same way.

-- Jim