Heh, Dad owns something like 50. For awhile he was collecting "boys rifles"
which were the kind given away for buying a bunch of comic books or selling
"Grit" or whatnot.

For general purpose I'll always recommend the Ruger 10/22. They've sold a
gazillion of them,t hey shoot good right out of the box and the rotary magazine
is the bees knees. Folks like the Marlin equivalent but I can't stand a tubular
magazine. Last I knew the 10/22 was still available in the sub $200 range.
My dad built a 10/22 with a heavy competition barrel, laminated stock and 24x
scope to shoot metallic silhouettes with. The ones we were shooting at 100
yards had to be hit within 1/2" of the top to fall, no fall, no score. That was
with Super-X high velocity ammo at 1350fps, anything less and it probably
wouldn't fall...

If you're into bolt action the 77/22 is a great gun but I think overpriced.
There are a host of old target rifles available for small money, everybody
wants a synthetic stock and big optics these days so older guns are cheap.

After last week at camp I'm considering a .22mag. Had some very hard to
dispatch critters where even 40gr, 1350fps wasn't enough. .22 mag runs 40gr to
almost 2000fps, gets more range and a low more force.

-Curt

    On Friday, May 25, 2018, 3:05:11 PM EDT, Dan--- via Mercedes