Kinetic energy is mass times velocity squared, the tougher the critter is the
more energy you need. In a .22 you really can't go over 40gr (although I seem
to remember somebody selling 45 I can't find them now) so velocity is the way
get get more energy and 1300 seems to be about the top.

I've never been that excited about hollow points in a .22, if you get a head
shot (which is the only humane thing on larger varmints) the bullet doesn't
come back out anyway. If I were worried about the bullet coming out the other
side it'd make more sense.

I'm looking at ground hogs in the 100 yard range, CCI says mini-mag is 87 #ft
at 100 yards with a 2.5" drop, subsonic is 72 #ft with a 4.6" drop. .22lr isn't
really effective after 100 yards which is why I'm thinking of .22mag which
ought to buy another 50 yards anyway.

-Curt

    On Tuesday, May 29, 2018, 12:21:19 PM EDT, OK Don via Mercedes