> I was surprised to discover per fueleconomy.gov the 96 supposedly gets
> the best mileage of all of them.  Anybody got any theory as to why? Maybe
> something to do with emissions?  Or maybe the 722.4 is more efficient than
> the 722.6 for some reason?

The .6 has a lockup torque converter, it ought to be capable of better
mileage.
Diesels aren't as sensitive to engine RPM, so the number of gears, and their
ratios, should be largely irrelevant to overall efficiency.

My _guess_ would have been the 98, due to the turbo and the LTC.  If it's
not,
and it's real, it's probably something to do with emissions equipment, as
you suspect.

The other choice is that they changed how the test is conducted, which is a
factor _not_ to be discounted!  In which case the difference is not real.

-- Jim