Possibly. Or the sudden load caused a little bridging spark weld that may give way with a larger load or the larger load could produce an even better bridge that will last a bit but cause heat wherever that weak connection is when subjected to higher amps?

MG
Who knows that electricity is weird $-it.

Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
So I turn on the heat pump an hour ago, put a 6A 240v load on the system, see if I can get it to do more than barely flicker. And...the flicker went away. Weak contact gets stronger with a little heat? If so, it should fail hard the first time we get a killing frost.
Mitch