My Wal-Mart plates sit flat, they really do look like Fiestaware from a
distance. I've made ever so many loaves of bread in the serving bowls which sit
nice and don't skitter around while I'm mixing.
Again I don't see any "better" in more expensive dishes. We do have some
expensive dishes and recently I was very sad when one of our handmade bowls got
broken. We'd had it maybe 10 years, not sure if that potter is still in
business.
-Curt

    On Monday, December 10, 2018, 4:59:02 PM EST, Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 On 10/12/2018 3:42 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
> - I don't understand why antique dishes are "better" than modern, in fact
> considering Max's reference to the dishwasher I can see ways they aren't as
> good. When I first started out we bought some fake fiestaware at Wal-Mart. 19
> years later its still fine, we don't use it much as the plates are really
> big. I'm not saying this in the "I know best" sense, I mean I don't know,
> there might be a reason, I just don't know it.
>
> -Curt

> Fine china is better made than junk china. It is thinner, lighter, fancier
> and has a better glaze etc. When you set it on the table, it should sit flat
> and not rock about. Not all that difficult to see the difference between
> things that have been made with pride and those made fast and cheap in China
> to be sold in Wal-Mart. Most men probably could not care less about the
> dishes but many of the ladies do. My wife has, I don't know how many, sets of
> dishes. None of it hugely expensive but much of it quite nice and she loves
> it. She would collect more sets if our cupboards were not already full to
> overflowing.
RB