I'd say you are correct, but that Rochester isn't even that well known for the lake effect snow. (not that it doesn't get it, but I don't think it holds a candle to the buffalo area). I live near Corning which is more south of Rochester and my in-laws live between Jamestown, NY and Erie, PA which is mostly South of Buffalo. There's almost a visible line you cross somewhere around Salamanca, where suddenly you're in the REAL snow belt in the winter. Which usually means that even with the traffic, the highway is covered, you have a hard time seeing anything but driving snow, and it usually comes down about 12 inches at a time. (as opposed to this side of that line where it seems to come down a couple inches at a time).

Levi (:

andrew strasfogel wrote:
I thought Rochester NY was known more for its localized lake-effect
blizzards than record-breaking cold.