But these plants are using synfuel coal. That allows for multiple tax breaks, such that the gummint covers 90% of the cost to produce

On Thursday, April 6, 2006, at 07:34 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Didn't I read on this list someone say Ethenol is a negative return? i.e., it takes more than a gallon of gasoline to produce a gallon of ethenol?

I don't know if it's actually a negative return, but it's not really a
"green" fuel because of how it's produced.  Many of the new ethanol
plants being built are fired by coal:

"Late last year in Goldfield, Iowa, a refinery began pumping out a
stream of ethanol, which supporters call the clean, renewable fuel of
the future.

"There's just one twist: The plant is burning 300 tons of coal a day to
turn corn into ethanol - the first US plant of its kind to use coal
instead of cleaner natural gas.

"An hour south of Goldfield, another coal-fired ethanol plant is under
construction in Nevada, Iowa. At least three other such refineries are
being built in Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota."

(http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0323/p01s01-sten.html)